Wednesday, February 27, 2013

News: BEYOND WESTWORLD (1980) TV Pilot on Blu-ray

Yep, the pilot episode of the very short-lived Beyond Westworld television series has been included as bonus feature on Warner Brothers' forthcoming Westworld Blu-ray (along with a vintage featurette and the theatrical trailer).

The obscure television spin-off, Beyond Westworld, was canceled after only three episodes were aired (although five were shot) by CBS in 1980. It starred Jim McMullan as Delos Security Chief John Moore, who had to stop a rogue roboticist named Quaid (James Wainright) from using the Delos robot technology to replace key political, military and corporate leaders and thus, conquer the world.

The Westworld HD disc is due in stores next Tuesday... and will be followed on the 26th by Shout! Factory's Blu-ray release of the American-International sequel, Futureworld.

I'm still hoping that Warner's MOD division, Warner Archive, will release the entire Beyond Westworld series this month, but they usually don't announce their new titles until the week they become available, so who knows?

You can pre-order the Blu-ray from Amazon: Westworld [Blu-ray]

10 comments:

  1. Damn, I totally want to see that pilot(but not enough to buy the Blu-ray.) That never even showed up on the Sci-Fi channel back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, would not have expected this! I wish more titles had stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good they're including it but Westworld itself was kinda meh for me so I don't know if I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each his own, I guess. I think Westworld is a terrific film.

      Delete
    2. This is what happens when you post at 6:30am...What I meant was Futureworld was meh for me. I love Westworld! For some reason I was thinking Beyond was the sequel...

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see obscure genre projects like "Beyond Westworld" get a re-release... but it bugs me that classics like "The Black Hole" or Disney's 1954 "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" still aren't out on Blu-ray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney's home video strategies have always been arcane....

      Delete
  5. I do not recall BEYOND WESTWORLD at all. And I've always been a big fan of WESTWORLD so I am surprised this one slipped by me. Now i can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love westworld and i do like futureworld, the beyond westworld pilot is a nice bonus and i good reason to upgrade my dvd something i dont like to do, i hope the european blue ray is the same. And i am hopeing the 5 episodes cpme out some time soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a blu ray player, but it's stuff like this that includes some bonus extras that makes me want to buy one. I've enjoyed both movies.

    ReplyDelete